Timber Ridge Outpost & Cabins
Karbers Ridge, Illinois
Attractions near Timber Ridge Outpost & Cabins
* Enjoy the endless miles of groomed trails throughout the Shawnee National Forest and
Kaskaskia Experimental Forest.
* Take the short ¼ mile hike at Garden of the Gods (3 miles away) and experience views
overlooking the Shawnee Hills from atop 90 cliffs.
* Take one of dozens of different hiking trails and explore views not found anywhere else
* Visit other unique rock formations created millions of years ago by great oceans that
once covered these hills such as:
- Rim Rock Recreation Trail view the remnants of a 1500 year old stone wall built
by Prehistoric Indians.
- Pounds Hollow Recreation Area- a 25 acre swimming and fishing lake nestled in
the Shawnee Hills.
- Tower Rock- unique rock formations with amazing views of the Ohio river below
- One Horse Gap Lake - a nearby narrow rock crevice that extends downward from
the top of a sheer bluff near this 26-acre lake.
- Iron Furnace Visit the only remaining iron furnace in the State of Illinois.
- Trail of Tears The legendary path the Cherokee Indians took when they were
moved from the Great Smoky Mountains to Oklahoma
- Bell Smith Springs A rare phenomenon of interconnected, complete, functioning
ecosystem with dozens of ice-cold spring pools and over 700 species of plants.
- Fern Cliff State Park - See Hawks' Cave, a 150-foot-long shelter bluff, and a 100-
foot-tall intermittent waterfall on the Big Rocky Hollow trail.
- Giant City State Park with more than 1.2 million visitors a year, Giant City State
Park offers breathtaking views and a rich history too long to mention here. This is
a must see!
- Explore the cave at Cave In Rock State Park and learn about the pirates that once
terrorized passengers moving up and down the Ohio river.
Besides several small ponds, loaded with fish and tucked away from time in the remote Shawnee Hills, Hardin County also offers two free boat launches into the Smithland Poole on the Great Ohio River. Want to explore other larger lakes, take a short drive and explore.
* Crab Orchard Lake a 6,965 acre reservoir that is the centerpiece of the Crab Orchard
National Wildlife Refuge.
* Rend Lake 387,900 acre lake
* Lake of Egypt 2300 acre reservoir in the Little Egypt region of Southern Illinois
* Enter one of the regularly scheduled fishing competitions on the Ohio River in the
* Kincaid Lake A 2,750 acre lake known for excellent crappie fishing.
Recharge your boat batteries in the evenings at one of our boat charging facilities. Fees apply.
Bring your own bikes or rent one of ours. Challenge yourself with some excellent mountain biking through the hills or a scenic ride along the Tunnel Hill State Trail and ride through the old train tunnels along the way.
* Tunnel Hill State Trail stretches for 45 miles from Harrisburg to Karnak Illinois. The trail
spurs and continues for 2.5 miles from Karnak to Cache River State Natural Area -
Henry Barkhausen Wetlands Center on the old Chicago and Eastern Illinois railroad
* The 9.3-mile section between Tunnel Hill and Vienna crosses trails already known to
outdoor recreationists such as:
* The River-to-River Trails, which extends from the Mississippi to the Ohio River
* The unmarked American Discovery Trails, which in southern Illinois follows back roads
and some of the River-to-River Trail
* The U.S. 76 Bicycle Route, a part of the TransAmerica Bike Route
* The Trail of Tears, the primary route the Cherokee Indian tribe took in the winter of
1838-39 during their forced move from the Great Smokies to Oklahoma.
Schedule yourself or your entire family for a fun afternoon learning to shoot recurve bows from our 4H Certified Archery Instructor, Marty Canfarelli. Marty has been hunting with bow and arrow since 1979. Currently Marty is the 4H archery instructor for a four county area
Please contact us in advance to schedule your lessons. We offer several packages for your convenience.
* Private one-on-on lessons are $35/hour
* Semi-private lessons (2-4 people) are $25/hour per person
* Have a larger group? Contact us for rates and special packages.
The Timber Ridge Pond:
A large fishing pond has been dug but we are awaiting Mother Natures spring rains to fill it up. If all goes well, we expect to be stocking the pond by Spring 2013.
Interested in some local events:
Visit the Hardin County web site for a complete list of festivals and activities:
|Back to information page|